architecture

Monday, April 7, 2008

Book of the Moment

Amazon's recommendation are usually slightly off the mark, ramming Roland Barthes down my throat after I bought one of his collection of essays for a class, for example, or misinterpreting gifts for families and friends as items I bought for myself. So I was pleasantly surprised to see this spot-on recommendation land in my inbox: Juhani Pallasmaa's The Architecture of the Image: Existential Space in Cinema, published by Rakennustieto Publishing.

pallasmaa1.jpg

The publisher's description:
This book explores the shared experiential ground of cinema, art and architecture. Pallasmaa carefully examines how the classic directors Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Michelangelo Antonioni and Andrei Tarkovsky use architectural imagery in creating emotional states in their films. The author also explores the startling similarities between the landscapes of painting and the landscapes of film. Pallasmaa
suggests that the architectural imagery of poets, painters and film directors could re-sensitise architects to the inherent poetics of architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment