architecture

Friday, November 11, 2005

Facade Project

Since my recent move, I've seen this from the "L" station every morning:

Missing image - facade1.jpg

When I previously lived near that station I remember the building's unfinished facade and empty interior, awaiting a fit out to be turned into condos, I assumed. It sat that way for years, not surprisingly since it sits five feet from the tracks. Now the Chicago Printmakers Collaborative, who occupies the building's storefront, has installed The Facade Project: A commemorative work in progress.

Each window on the upper three floors of the Collaborative building contains the faces of 9 of the US soldiers who have died in Iraq. Altogether, the piece shows the faces of 648 of the troops as a tribute and reminder.

Missing image - facade2.jpg

I usually don't get into this sort of thing, but the interaction of the faces with the unfinished building -- as well as the sheer number of faces -- make it a powerful statement. From the photo above, it seems like the Collaborative should open the space to visitors to heighten the aesthetic and emotional experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment