architecture

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Driving is Murder

On my articles page I added one of my papers from last semester, Driving is Murder: The Automobile, Violence, and the City in Film Noir, for the class Reading the City: Film Noir.

film-noir.jpg

Basically the paper is a response to a consistent theme or trait I saw in the films we watched in class, such as Kiss Me Deadly (above): violence with automobiles. Given that the class was geared towards seeing the city through the lens of film noir and critical responses to that genre, my paper tries to analyze this trait in relation to the car's effect on the city and the American landscape, definitely something taking place during the years of these films. But as I analyzed these films I realized that seeing them in relation to contemporary films or neo-noirs was necessary, to see how attitudes towards violence and the automobile changed as the car became ingrained in the American way of life and urban fabric. Hopefully these things come across in the paper; it's hard to say from my position. So if you are able to wade through the roughly 3,300 words, come back to this post and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment