architecture

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Architects Like Paintings, Too

Tyler Green posts both his favorite painting(s) in America and favorite American painting(s) in response to the National Gallery launching a search for Britain's favorite painting.

Throwing some suggestions into the mix, it didn't take long to think of my favorite paintings in America, both by my favorite painter Gerhard Richter and both in the permanent collections of American museums (correct me if I'm wrong).

Missing image - betty.jpg
Betty , 1988
St. Louis Art Museum

Missing image - 2candles.jpg
Two Candles, 1982
Art Institute of Chicago

Picking a favorite American painting is a bit more difficult, taking my mind back to a university class on Modern American Art. Given that choosing something like this comes down to personal taste, for me that would be mid 20th-century abstract and abstract expressionist art. Which means a favorite wouldn't be a single work but a range of work by individual artists. So, in no particular order:

:: Franz Kline
:: Robert Motherwell
:: Mark Rothko
:: Barnett Newman
:: Helen Frankenthaler
:: Jackson Pollock

No comments:

Post a Comment